Mary Rice Hasson is a Fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington, D.C. where she directs the Catholic Women’s Forum, an initiative that responds to Pope Francis’s call for Catholic women to assume a higher profile within the Church and to think with the Church in addressing the problems of today.
Mrs. Hasson is the editor of a new book, Promise and Challenge: Catholic Women Reflect on Feminism, Complementarity, and the Church (Our Sunday Visitor: 2015), and the co-author of the groundbreaking report, What Catholic Women Think About Faith, Conscience, and Contraception (EPPC, 2012), which offered new data and analysis of the views of church-going Catholic women, ages 18-54, on faith, conscience, and contraception. She is currently writing a book that proposes ways to engage Catholic women more effectively on topics related to sexual morality, conscience, and reproduction, in order to accompany women towards a deeper life in Christ.
Mrs. Hasson speaks on Catholicism, culture, women, sexual morality, and family life and writes for a variety of websites, policy journals, and scholarly publications. She has been interviewed by media outlets ranging from MSNBC to the BBC to EWTN, and by numerous Catholic radio programs. Before joining EPPC, Mrs. Hasson worked as an attorney and writer and served the Church for over twenty years in leadership positions in Catholic marriage preparation programs, diocesan education efforts, and Catholic ministries to women and families.
She is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Notre Dame Law School. Mrs. Hasson and her husband, Kevin J. “Seamus” Hasson, the parents of seven children, have been named the recipients of the 2015 Saint John Paul II Award for the New Evangelization.
Selected Video Interviews and Lectures
- “Women and the Church: An Inter-Tradition Dialogue – Is Christianity Bad for Women?” panel discussion, University of Notre Dame, September 2016
- Interview about Promise and Challenge, Salt and Light TV’s “Subject Matters,” June 2016
- “Women and Sexual Freedom: Is Consent All That Matters,” panel presentation, Center for Ethics and Culture, University of Notre Dame, November 2015
- Interview during Pope Francis’s visit to US, CSPAN, October 2015
- Keynote Remarks of the 2015 Saint John Paul II Award for the New Evangelization, Catholic Information Center, October 2015