Mary Rice Hasson is a Fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington, D.C. where she directs the Catholic Women’s Forum, an initiative that responds to Pope Francis’s call for Catholic women to assume a higher profile within the Church, and to think with the Church in addressing the problems of today. The Catholic Women’s Forum is a network of Catholic women professional women and scholars. Our mission is to shape the culture and serve the Church by amplifying the voice of Catholic women in support of Catholic teachings and the human values essential to a free society.
Mary is the editor of Promise and Challenge: Catholic Women Reflect on Feminism, Complementarity, and the Church (Our Sunday Visitor: 2015), and the co-author of the report, What Catholic Women Think About Faith, Conscience, and Contraception (EPPC, 2012).
Her work has appeared in a variety of websites, policy journals, and scholarly publications, including The Federalist, the Washington Examiner, Our Sunday Visitor, The National Catholic Register, and First Things. She has been interviewed by media outlets ranging from MSNBC to the BBC to EWTN, and by numerous Catholic radio programs. She speaks frequently on women, faith, culture, family, sexual morality, and gender ideology at conferences across the country. Mary was the keynote speaker for the Holy See at its event on “The Distinctiveness of Women’s Work and Women’s Empowerment” during the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (2017). As part of the CWF Gender Project, Mary assists religious organizations with training on the cultural, medical, and pastoral issues raised by transgender identities and other gender issues.
Before joining EPPC, Mrs. Hasson worked as an attorney and writer and served the Church for over twenty years in leadership positions in Catholic marriage preparation programs, diocesan education efforts, and Catholic ministries to women and families.
She is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Notre Dame Law School. Mrs. Hasson and her husband, Kevin J. “Seamus” Hasson, the parents of seven children, were the recipients of the 2015 Saint John Paul II Award for the New Evangelization.
Selected Interviews and Lectures
- Transgenderism & Child Welfare, World Lutheran News Digest, June 2017
- Birth Mothers and Adoptive Mothers Celebrate Mother’s Day, EWTN “Pro-Life Weekly,” May 2017
- “The Distinctiveness of Women’s Work and Women’s Empowerment”, Commission on the Status of Women, United Nations, March 2017
- Redeeming the Gender Revolution, Genuine Feminine Conference, January 2017
- “Women and the Church: An Inter-Tradition Dialogue – Is Christianity Bad for Women?” panel discussion, University of Notre Dame, September 2016
- Interview about Promise and Challenge, Salt and Light TV’s “Subject Matters,” June 2016
- “Women and Sexual Freedom: Is Consent All That Matters,” panel presentation, Center for Ethics and Culture, University of Notre Dame, November 2015
- Interview during Pope Francis’s visit to US, CSPAN, October 2015
- Keynote Remarks of the 2015 Saint John Paul II Award for the New Evangelization, Catholic Information Center, October 2015
- Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, panel presentation, Southwestern Law School, 2015