Celebrating the Centenary of Pope St. John Paul II
May 18, 2020, is the 100th anniversary of the birth of Karol Józef Wojtyła, who would become Pope St. John Paul II. Below is some of the recent commentary that EPPC Distinguished Senior Fellow George Weigel has offered in observance of this centenary:
- Interview: George Weigel on Pope St. John Paul II and Religious Freedom (Religious Freedom Institute, May 18, 2020)
- John Paul II’s Political Lexicon: Seven Lessons for Today’s Struggling Democracies (Notes from Poland, May 16, 2020) (PDF here)
- Interview: The next hundred years of St. John Paul II’s legacy (Catholic News Agency, May 15, 2020)
- Pope John Paul II’s Soviet Spy (The Wall Street Journal, May 14, 2020)
- On John Paul II’s Centenary (George Weigel’s weekly column The Catholic Difference, May 13, 2020)
- The Soul of Pope St. John Paul II (The Catholic World Report, May 8, 2020)
- AUDIO: George Weigel Discusses John Paul II Centenary on Conversations with Consequences Podcast (May 7, 2020)
- Earlier this year, Mr. Weigel delivered his 19th annual William E. Simon Lecture, titled “Saint John Paul II: A Centenary Reflection on a Life of Consequence.” View a video and photos from this event here.
Mr. Weigel is the author of an acclaimed biography of John Paul II, the first volume of which, Witness to Hope, was just re-published in a new twentieth-anniversary paperback edition by HarperCollins. The book, hailed as “a tremendous achievement” by the Washington Post and “one of the most interesting histories of our times” by the Boston Globe, includes a new preface by Mr. Weigel and may be purchased here. A tenth-anniversary edition of the second volume of the biography, The End and the Beginning, will be published later this year by Doubleday, and will also include a new preface by the author.
- SEE ALSO: EPPC Fellow Stephen P. White’s “The Gift of John Paul II” (The Catholic Thing, May 14, 2020)