The Ethics and Public Policy Center (EPPC) is Washington, D.C.’s premier institute working to apply the riches of the Jewish and Christian traditions to contemporary questions of law, culture, and politics, in pursuit of America’s continued civic and cultural renewal.
We have an immediate opening for a full-time, resident Operations Assistant to carry out a range of administrative and program assignments. The position requires working Mondays through Thursdays in EPPC’s office, located near Farragut Square, reports to Mark Shanoudy, Director of Operations, and works alongside one other full-time operations staff member.
Founded in 1976, EPPC works closely with Americans at all tiers of society, advising policymakers and religious leaders alike, engaging the courts and the education system, and informing parents and other culture-makers. Through the work of our three dozen scholars, we equip Americans who cherish our founding ideals and intellectual heritage to think through the most pressing ethical, political, and cultural questions of our time.
EPPC has more than doubled in size in the last three years. As the organization approaches its 50th anniversary, the Operations Assistant will have the opportunity to help build on EPPC’s recent growth and in this way contribute to the advancement of human dignity in major institutions of American civil society.
- Handle administrative paperwork, including but not limited to coding and filing expenses, processing reimbursements and honoraria, and filing and submitting bills;
- Create, maintain, and distribute shared office calendars, including the calendars for our conference room and podcast studio;
- Manage office supply inventory and purchasing, as well as equipment and furniture purchasing;
- Assist with event planning and staffing, particularly logistics before events and on-site during events;
- Assist as required with posting updates to our website, taking minutes at meetings, and other program tasks;
- Handle receiving and sending mail and shipping;
- Schedule meetings;
- Open the office in the mornings, including turning on lights, emptying the dishwasher, and related tasks;
- Answer the phone;
- Answer the door;
- Provide other day-to-day office support as required.
- A strong understanding of and commitment to EPPC’s mission;
- Two years of experience in a professional environment with administrative duties, whether full-time, part-time, or internship;
- Superior organization and verbal and written expression;
- Facility with Office365 and Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, and adaptability in learning the attentive use of new software;
- The ability to manage, with consistent supervision and in a collegial manner, a variety of tasks at once;
- The ability and willingness to take initiative while fully cooperating with the Director of Operations and other staff and scholars.
The Director of Operations and Operations Assistant will review particular assignments regularly, but there will be overall evaluations at 3, 6, and 12 months after the start date, and thereafter every 12 months. The focus of the overall evaluations will be whether the Operations Assistant completes tasks thoughtfully, thoroughly, and on time, and has productive relationships with EPPC’s other staff and scholars.
The salary range for this position is $40,000 to $50,000, and within those limits salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Health insurance, including vision and dental;
- Twenty (20) days of paid vacation and five (5) days of personal or sick leave each calendar year;
- All paid federal holidays;
- After 1 year of employment, enrollment in 403(b) retirement plan with 7% contribution by EPPC;
- Maternity leave;
- Remote work on Fridays;
- Commuter benefits for those who use WMATA.
We will accept applications from January 23 until the position is filled. Nevertheless, applications received by the close of business on Friday, February 9, will receive the earliest consideration.
Please email—in a single, reduced-size PDF—your resume, a letter of interest, a list of references with their contact information and association with you, and a writing sample to Mitchell Muncy, Executive Vice President, at [email protected]. The subject line of your email and your file name should read “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, Operations Assistant.”
We expect a number of qualified applicants for this position. In your letter, rather than repeating information from your resume, please explain why you are a particularly good fit for EPPC. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please do not call.